Welcome!

Saving a face one beat at a time...

Friday, June 18, 2010

Sisterlove

"I never considered myself to be a popular girl in high school. I never really cared that much. I had dreams of becoming a professional dancer so I was too busy with rehearsals and performances to even think about being popular. My popularity came by happenstance.... rolling with GPP was like having the keys to the city. These girls had juice...and they knew how to use it."

(an excerpt from my new book, untitled)

Thoughts of high school are a nightmare to some and a cake walk for others, but for me, high school is where I met my female soul mates.  I'm pleased to introduce you to GPP (also known to me as "the homies").

What is GPP? Just a name we came up with after we all officially bonded.  It's not a sorority or a cult, but a friendship among eight African American females that was formed from familiarity and comradery. 




From homeroom to the courtroom and from proms to galas we've had a genuine friendship that has lasted for 20+ years.

Amazing isn't it? 

We've laughed together, cried together, partied together, traveled together and still get together (every month) to catch up and to
celebrate each others achievements whenever possible. 

Last year we decided to do a photoshoot to capture our love for one another and to challenge a dear friend who needed desperately to build her portfolio.

A challenge it was.  Not that the faces weren't easy to beat, it's just the labor of beating out six girls plus myself was hard on a sista.

I drew my inspiration from seven celebs:

Monica

Paula Patton 

Thandi Newton 

Kelis
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Nia Long  
Kerry Washington
  
Then I called up my favorite photographer Lakaye Mbah, who was thrilled to do the project, and got to beatin'.




There's actually a total of eight of us, but one decided to gracefully bow out of the shoot due to a special delivery :o)

And there you have it.

This post is dedicated to the seven beautiful ladies that I've come to know, appreciate and love. 
 Here's to you my sistas and to the next twenty....


Love Always,


Wendy~

No comments:

Post a Comment