Welcome!

Saving a face one beat at a time...

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Model Minister: Donald W. Williams II

What up Beau/Bellas!

I know it’s been a minute (again) but I’m back with a continuation of the series titled “model ministers”. This week I’m featuring the beaus!

I’ll have to admit…in the beginning of my adventures in makeup I was very intimidated, uneasy and downright petrified to apply makeup to a male face. My first thought? “Uh…where exactly do I put it?” I mean it’s not like you can match their eye shadow with the color of their tie. So I did some thinking and a little research and it finally dawned on me...using makeup on males is the same basic concept; its purpose is just to enhance what’s already there. I hadn’t gotten a male face since my days in makeup school which is why I jumped at the opportunity to do another. Enter Minister Donald Wesley Williams II.

I met Minister Williams back in 2006 during my choir member days at the New Psalmist Baptist Church in Baltimore, where he worked as a musician (a drummer no less) One day he asked if I could hook him up for a photo shoot that would feature his likeness on a flyer for a young adult ministry event. Of course I said yes. He wanted the shoot to take place outdoors so I grabbed my case and tools, my Sony Cybershot and headed to a nearby lake. It was a beautiful spring day and I was sweating bullets giving art direction, doing touch ups and snapping away, hoping to get some good amateur shots of Mr. Williams in the sunlight (natural light is tricky if you didn’t know).

I applied a medium brown crème foundation and powder from the AJ Crimson line. I used a dark brown powder to shade in any sparse hairs on his face and a crème based studio stick concealer from MAC to cover any dark areas. I contoured his face with a darker powder to work with the shadows and finished the look using Kiel’ s lip balm #1 to add a bit of sheen to his lips...and voila!



All in all I think the shots turned out pretty good to say that I’m not a photographer.

Mr. Williams is a graduate of Morehouse College in Atlanta, a 2nd year grad student at Palmer Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, a professional drummer (he’s got credits on India Arie’s first album!) and a minister who has spoken at various churches across the nation. Mr. Williams is also a total bookworm/theological nerd whose favorite color is maroon and who can eat pretty much whatever he wants, do 10 sit ups and still have a six pack...urgh! 


How do I know this?


Why he’s my fiancé of course….





On June 6, 2010 my name will officially change to….you guessed it…. Wendy Williams. How about that?

Until next time folks…



Ciao Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment